Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I want to find out about sentence reduction non voilent

Customer Question

I want to find out about sentence reduction for a non voilent offender in Sumpter County. What is the statute that controls this and how to file. The sentence has been passed and will be up in June.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that if this was more than 60 days from sentence, the Florida rules do not provide for reduction. FL Rule Rule 3.800(c) allows the court to reduce or modify a sentence after it is imposed within 60 days of the date of sentencing. The rule states:
"Reduction and Modification. A court may reduce or modify to include any of the provisions of chapter 948, Florida Statutes, a legal sentence imposed by it, sua sponte, or upon motion filed, within 60 days after the imposition, or within 60 days after receipt by the court of a mandate issued by the appellate court on affirmance of the judgment and/or sentence on an original appeal, or within 60 days after receipt by the court of a certified copy of an order of the appellate court dismissing an original appeal from the judgment and/or sentence, or, if further appellate review is sought in a higher court or in successively higher courts, within 60 days after the highest state or federal court to which a timely appeal has been taken under authority of law, or in which a petition for certiorari has been timely filed under authority of law, has entered an order of affirmance or an order dismissing the appeal and/or denying certiorari. If review is upon motion, the trial court shall have 90 days from the date the motion is filed or such time as agreed by the parties or as extended by the trial court to enter an order ruling on the motion. If no order is entered on the motion within 90 days or such time as extended by the parties or the trial court, the motion shall be deemed denied. This subdivision shall not be applicable to those cases in which the death sentence is imposed or those cases in which the trial judge has imposed the minimum mandatory sentence or has no sentencing discretion."
If there was no reduction applied for within 60 days, the FL rule does not provide for the reduction of the sentence.