Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My name is***** would like to know if a store may refuse

Customer Question

My name is***** would like to know if a store may refuse to permit be to return goods I purchased for a full refund? I purchased some make-up at McCarren prior to my flight. I did not open any of the products and mailed it back to the vendor within two days of my initial purchase. I wouldn't care ordinarily, but it was an expensive purchase.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I spoke to the vendor today and was informed that because the store receipt contained the warning that no returns were permitted, the vendor would not refund my purchase. I only saw the notice when I got home and decided I wanted to return it. I also think I recall that the sales person may have said I could return things, but honestly I am not sure.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are the goods defective? Is there a reason for the return?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No there are no defects. I simply decided I really didn't want the product.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
As a legal matter, merchants may use their own discretion in their own refund or return policy for merchandise the sell. In orher words, where there is no defect or breach of warranty, the seller has no legal obligation to take back the item and issue a refund, if requested by the customer.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.