Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My name is ***** *****. I have received a writ of garnishment

Customer Question

Hi! My name is ***** *****. I have received a writ of garnishment for a vehicle I surrendered in 2008. Plus, it is $6000 over what I owed at the point I surrendered it, which I am guessing is interest? I thought they only had so many years to garnish my wages or attempt to collect any more dept.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was married in 06 to a man that also co-signed for the vehicle. The way the dealers told us, was that neither one of us could get it by ourselves, but if he co-signed, I would be able to. My ex was going to make the payments because he was a driller at the time and ended up only making 3 payments and then they fell to me (he couldn't keep a job). I already had 2 kids and then him to take care of. Anyway, in the beginning of 08, the railcar repair shop I worked at laid everyone off and shut down. We moved to a different town, I finally found a job and was struggling to keep us afloat. My ex disappeared due to threatening my kids and myself (and much more) so then I called the company to surrender because I just couldn't do it anymore. That was in May of 08, I believe.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. I presume that you were sued for the debt a long time ago, yes?2. What state were you sued in and when?Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It says, "in the judgment". I must not have answered or moved to a different town. I really don't remember getting anything or being served. I bought it in Wyoming and have never left Wyoming.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon, I think that there is a good chance that I can help you. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your complex questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.1. You don't recall ever being served with a lawsuit that you remember?Doug