Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My name is ***** *****. In November 2015 I was on the way to

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. In November 2015 I was on the way to my pulmanologist having a fever. I turned left and allegedly hit a large SUV/Van. I stopped & the male driver was yelling at me, "You hit my car", etc. I indicated that I was going to go on over the I-20 bridge to stop at the 7-Eleven to prevent being hit and knocked down the embankment or bridge onto I-20. I called 911 and remained on line with them until paramedics arrived. I was transported to Harris Methodist Hospital in downtown Fort Worth. I have used hand controls for many years, as a result of injury sustained in 1996 when the car in which I was riding was broadsided right in the back door passenger side where I was sitting. I was concerned about my neck and the fact t
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That I'd hit my head on the knob on the steering wheel and my neck was hurting. At the hospital it was determined that my head and neck were not compromised but that I had double pneumonia. I received letters in February that my license was possibly being suspended because of "blackout." The policeman put in his report that I said that I'd blacked out before the accident. This is a term I have never used. I got my PCP and my neurologist of 20 years to fill out the requested medical forms stating I'd never had nor been treated for a condition called Blackout. My husband of almost 5 years was diagnosed with a glioblastoma stage 4(terminal & inoperable). I am his sole caregiver (his son and daughter help very, very little). I cannot have my license revoked because of caring for him. Too, the thought of spending our last days together without my license needed to care for him is intolerable. The tumor is in his left temporal lobe and affects memory, cognition, processing, and speech. I have a hearing on May 27. What approach, etc do I need to take? I need advice. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have a right to appeal the suspension for medical reasons by filing your appeal with the driver's license bureau and you would need to appear with a doctor's report indicating that you are medically safe to operate a vehicle and you may have to get them to actually appear and testify at the hearing at the discretion of the appeals hearing officer. As long as your doctors say you are safe to drive and you present the evidence to the driver's license bureau, they will reinstate or not suspend your license. You simply have to prove to them your condition is safe enough for you to drive.