John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I started collecting my SS last year at age 66. My wife got

Customer Question

I started collecting my SS last year at age 66. My wife got hers through a disability when she was in her 50's. I am still working but will probably retire before the end of this year. Should I freeze my payments now or is there anything I should be doing differently.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Are you also collecting Medicare Part B? Is your wife claiming your work credits in her disability or did she qualify from her own earnings record?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I am not using part b and my wife has here own ss
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
What you can do if you desire is suspend your benefits and let them grow up to age 70. But when you retire I'm sure you'll want part B, which you can either pay for out of pocket or reinstate your benefits and have the premiums come out of those. Your wife cannot switch over to your benefits now because of changes in the law...so she'll be switched over to old age retirement benefits at age 66.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.