Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I had loaned a relative an expensive bracelet, 14K gold charms

Customer Question

I had loaned a relative an expensive bracelet, 14K gold charms all birthstones for which I have all the receipts and an appraisal dated 1996. She passed away in Februry, 2016, and all the proceeds of her remaining estate are to go to one person. This bracelet should not be considered her estate and I would like it returned to me. What is my recourse?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
Has an estate been opened for this person? Do you know who has physical possession of the bracelet now?
The usual course of action in cases you describe is to file a claim in the estate of the deceased person for return of the item. The court can order the Personal Representative or the Heir to return it. If there is no estate opened, then one may file a replevin suit directly against the person who has actual possession of the item.
I hope that this answer is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating for it at this time.