How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6772
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A creditor got a default judgement on me 4/4/16. What type

Customer Question

a creditor got a default judgement on me 4/4/16. What type of motion do I need to file in Nassau county?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
You need to file a Motion To Vacate Default Judgment and state your reasons for requesting that the case be reopened. You should give a reason why you were late to court, and also state that you have a valid defense to the creditor's claim.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. is there a place to go on line for examples. I dont have a reason why except that I just completed my divorce and the settlement did not provide a lump sum to pay for the card. I'm financially devastated b/c of the divorce and am considering bankruptsy. I am trying to prevent a lien going on my house (also in default) before I can decide to modify etc.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
In other words, you are not claiming that you don't owe the money, but rather that you are not in a position to make payments at this time. If so, then trying to vacate the default judgment is probably a waste of time on your part. If you are looking for ways to avoid or postpone paying the judgment, I can move in that direction too.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
I will need a little more information about your home and whether you claim you have sufficient equity in it and are concerned about keeping it.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
There are numerous sites on line that offer preparation of legal documents. I don't know if any of them would have anything like the motion you need. If you Google "motion to vacate" form, you may get something close to what you need.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Related Legal Questions