Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

A creditor got a default judgement on me 4/4/16. What type

Customer Question

a creditor got a default judgement on me 4/4/16. What type of motion do I need to file in Nassau county?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
You need to file a Motion To Vacate Default Judgment and state your reasons for requesting that the case be reopened. You should give a reason why you were late to court, and also state that you have a valid defense to the creditor's claim.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. is there a place to go on line for examples. I dont have a reason why except that I just completed my divorce and the settlement did not provide a lump sum to pay for the card. I'm financially devastated b/c of the divorce and am considering bankruptsy. I am trying to prevent a lien going on my house (also in default) before I can decide to modify etc.
In other words, you are not claiming that you don't owe the money, but rather that you are not in a position to make payments at this time. If so, then trying to vacate the default judgment is probably a waste of time on your part. If you are looking for ways to avoid or postpone paying the judgment, I can move in that direction too.
I will need a little more information about your home and whether you claim you have sufficient equity in it and are concerned about keeping it.
There are numerous sites on line that offer preparation of legal documents. I don't know if any of them would have anything like the motion you need. If you Google "motion to vacate" form, you may get something close to what you need.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.