RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I stole lottery tickets valued to 2100 dollars. Before I was

Customer Question

I stole lottery tickets valued to 2100 dollars. Before I was charged I paid back the store to which I took the tickets from. Now they say I am still being charged after the store accepted the monies and I have the receipts. Can they do this. I was forced to sign an agreement and admittance of guilt after they informed me that I could enter a program for gambling and I would be suspended from work. They then called the police and said I would be arrested for a felony. I was an employee there. On the statement they told me what to put down.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.Unfortunately, yes you can still be charged. This is because the act of theft was committed when you took the tickets. You can't undo the act by paying the money back (though the fact that you made restitution can certainly be considered by the prosecutor should they offer a plea, and by the court). Only the state, through the prosecutor's office, can decide whether to charge a person, and what to charge them with. A company or an individual cannot "press charges" therefore. As far as the statement that you wrote out, a defense attorney can try to get that thrown out on the basis that you were coerced into writing it on the promise that you would be suspended and could enter a gambling program, and didn't know that they were going to call the police. Even without the statement though, there is evidence of your guilt in the fact that you paid back the money.If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.