Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am in dispute with a resort I am getting married at

Customer Question

Hello. I am in dispute with a resort I am getting married at in Miami. The dispute is regarding a $1,000 deposit for reserving room blocks. Before singing and agreement we received a FAQ document stating the $1,000 would be applied to the wedding package if all rooms weren't booked. The signed contract states that we will forfeit the money if all rooms aren't booked. Because of this, I have been going back and forth stating they have misled us. After some email dialogues, They later sent an email stating they would refund us the money. Then they went silent. We waited over 25 days and sent a few emails in between trying to find out when this would be. Recently they finally sent an email retracting their statements from the email that they would refund us our money. My question is, can that original email stating they would refund us, act as an amendment to the contract? What are my options? Or are we out of luck?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Unfortunately, generally, the terms of the written contract would trump any other verbal agreement or email communications, so I am afraid generally, unless the resort is willing to issue a refund or credit the deposit as a "good will" gesture, there would not be any legal recourse to recover such deposit in a similar situation.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.