ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

Is the portuguese classica lottery on the level or is it a

Customer Question

Is the portuguese classica lottery on the level or is it a scam, and if so dowe have any recourse in the U>S
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, we are still talking?? with them on the phone
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: we received a letter dated 3/24/16 advising that my wife won the portuguese lottery of $4,200,000.00 in us dollars. We have since 5 letters,the final one arrived on 4/18 via DHL Express from Delagates of Government in Madrid, advising that our money would not be released until 2% tax was paid, 84,000.00 United States Dollars. The money is being held by the HSBC Bank Madrid and they refused to pay the tax, reffering to the Ministry of ins. brokers law (***** *****, [email protected]) This notification expires on 4/29/16
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. DON'T PAY THEM A CENT. I hope you already didn't pay.
It's a complete scam. I assume you never even played this lottery, and ask yourself if you ever win lotteries that you don't play in the first place. The answer is no. But furthermore, no legitimate lottery requires you to pay to cover taxes, fees, etc... Rather, they will take any fees, taxes, etc... out of the winnings.
I have never seen this actually be legitimate. It's always a scam. So don't pay anything. If you have paid something, I'm sorry to say that that money is almost certainly gone. The problem is that they're not in the U.S. They're in some other country and subject to another jurisdiction's law. That makes international criminal enforcement almost impossible. Now if you could find the true scammer you could sue and theoretically have "recourse" against that person, but without spending money on a top notch international private eye, as well as lawyers to bring such a lawsuit, you wouldn't have a case. But don't pay them another cent, please, because it is a scam and you will not see that money that you give ever again. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?