Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

What is the law in nc a fixed object driving a

Customer Question

what is the law in nc for striking a fixed object driving a tractor and trailer
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Are you talking about a situation where a driver hits something, like a pole or parked unoccupied car?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes any object
Ok, under NC General Statues 20-166.1 if you strike anything that results in over $1,000 in damages or causes any injury, you have to notify the closest law enforcement by the quickest means available..If you hit a parked vehicle left parked or unattended on a highway you must report the collision to the owner of the parked or unattended motor vehicle. This requirement applies to an accident that is not a reportable accident as well as to one that is a reportable accident. The report may be made orally or in writing, must be made within 48 hours of the accident..Failure to do so can be charged as a misdemeanor hit and run. A person is guilty if they:DriveA vehicleInvolved in a crash involving a motor vehicle that results in:(a) Death of a person(b) Injury to a person(c) Total property damage of $1,000 or more, or(d) Property damage in any amount to a vehicle seize pursuant to N.C. Gen. Stat. § 20-28.3 andFails to immediately notify a law enforcement officerBy the quickest means of communication.See here for State law link: NC Reporting requirements..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this does not help me at all
Ok, maybe I am not sure what you are asking.. .This is what you said: "what is the law in nc for striking a fixed object driving a tractor and trailer".And I have cited the law above and what your reporting requirements are... What type of vehicle you hit something with doesn't matter..Did I misunderstand your question somehow?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not leave the accident and was charge for striking a fixed object in Georgia so what is the points on my csa in nc
Ok, you didn't actually ask anything about Georgia here... You asked about NC..So now you are asking if you hit something in Georgia, do any points transfer to your North Carolina issued CDL license, right?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was charged for striking a fixed object in Georgia does that go on my csa points in nc
No. As a general rule, North Carolina will not add any points onto your license based upon your conviction for an out-of-state traffic offense like hitting a fixed object.If your offense in another state would trigger a suspension or revocation of your driver's license in North Carolina, like a DUI, the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles would suspend your license for that offense since they are a member of the Interstate Drivers Compact where incidents are reported to all members...thanksBarrister