legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I have a problem with my Ex wife. I was suppose to pay for

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Ex wife. I was suppose to pay for registration for a car she has but shortly after the divorce she harassed not only me but my girlfriend at the time so i eliminated all contact due to knowing her nature and it would continue. So 2.5 years pass and I received a phone call late last night from my ex wife ( how she got my new number is ***** me) stating that I owed her money. She was drunk and kept calling, even left a voicemail that she is cursing in. Do I have a chance at getting the decree modified or even void since my family and I are still being harassed?
Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately, harassment and divorce decrees are two separate issues;if a party is harassing a former spouse, the proper remedy is to seek a protective order, which precludes contact (https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/cvs/protective-orders) so that any communications must be done in a court approved manner (ie through third parties, through emails, etc) If a party violates a court order, the court may sanction that person up to $4,000. Also, a party seeking a protective order can request attorney fees and costs. As for the car registration issue, generally a former spouse need not continue to pay for a car registration- generally one is only responsible for an upcoming payment. If that is the case, and payment was not made, the other party can seek a contempt citation -which requires a knowing and wilful violation of a court order (for example, proof that the other person provided the registration information so it could have been paid). If it calls for blanket registrations, one can seek a modification or termination of that order, requesting the court to end any future payments for registration, since that is onerous in that it requires ongoing contact in a hostile situation.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly --- Rate Positively--- so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!