Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I am trying to locate a man by the name of Gary Lynn Penland,

Customer Question

I am trying to locate a man by the name of Gary Lynn Penland, who came to my home in 2011 under the guise of representing the company which did my "Trust". My original trust was done by United Systems Corp.,(###) ###-#### ***** is now located in Florida and no longer services my Trust in Indiana.
I trusted Lynn to handle my financial affairs. He moved some of my money into life insurance policies, putting money into annuities to pay the yearly insurance premiums, e.g. with Baltimore, Assurity, and Oxford Life Insurance Companies.
As late as 2015, I was in touch with him concerning tax questions. Then, in February 2015 he approached me by phone about loaning him $4,000 resumably for a down payment on a home, and he was also going into another business:***@******.***.
He has had a number of different e-mail addresses:***@******.*** - mailing address: The Penland agency, 6704 Locust Grove Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46237; his first was:***@******.***. His current phone number is:(###) ###-####
I have called him at least 4-5 times, getting his answering machine, and he does not return my calls.
I loaned him $4,000 and requested that he give me a "promissory note". On 3/9/15, he sent me an e-mail: "Hi Mary This is a temporary letter to suffice for the one that I mailed, that you didn't receive . (Please let me know if you have received the letter since we last spoke). I am in receipt of the funds you invested I'm (typo "in") my organization ($4,000). I will return the principal, plus 10% interest (totaling $4,400) by no later than March 1, 2015 (another typo: 2016). Thank you again for your trust and confidence in me. Warmest regards, ***** *****"
He finally sent a signed hard copy: "I am in receipt of your investment in the amount of $4,000.00. This will be paid back to you, with an extra 10%, by no later than 12 months (3/1/2016). Thank you for your trust and confidence in me and my organization! Sincerely, ***** *****" The address on the envelope was: Lynn Penland
***** #105
Indianapolis, IN 46237
He also goes as Gary Lynn Penland, and I found an address under that name at:
***** Indianapolis, IN 46237.
His previous address was: P.O. Box 248 in Mooresville, IN 46158
I originally sent him a check for $2,000 dated 2/11/15, and told him I would send the other payment if he was unable to get it from another source, i.e. another of his clients who was in Florida at the time. So, he has gotten money from several other elders. . . Of course, he didn't get money from the other client, and begged me to send him another $2,000 which I did by check dated 2/25/15.
My last communication with him was via e-mail as follows: On November 30, 2015 1:43 pm: Hi Lynn, I tried to send you an email to "Legacy Estates" which was returned. Have you got a NEW email address? Mary
His answer: On November 30, 2015 1:56 PM, Lynn Penland
: Hi Mary That email address was constanatly giving us issues... This is the address that I use and depend on. Sorry for the inconvenience, Mary. Please send emails to this address. I hope you're doing well! Lynn"
On November 30, 2015 4:05 PM I wrote: Thanks for the update. I notice that your phone numbers have evidently been changed. If you don't mind, let me have your new number. Tax time is coming soon, and Dave or I might need to call you. mary"
His answer on November 30, 2015 4:08 PM: Oh yes...I keep thinking I've got everyone notified... It"s(###) ###-#### I had to switch it to a Florida number to help my dad with his rental property."
This is rather a complicated situation. "Oh what tangled webs we weave when first we try to deceive. . . . . "
Thank you for your help, Mary M. Hagopian, (80 years old)***@******.***
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
Hello MaryThis is Samuel and I am sorry to hear of this situation. It appears this Mr. Lynn maybe a scam artist. I suggest you should consider reporting this to your local law enforcement and see if they can help track him down. He may already be in the data base and even under another name. If not, then I suggest you can file a lawsuit against him to recover your money. And you should consider a consultation with a local attorney who can help put you in touch with a Private Investigator to get his contact information so you can file the lawsuit and have him served properly.I wish there was more you could do. But if you start with local law enforcement they can help to determine if this guy is on the up and up. If he is then you need to file a lawsuit. If he is not, the local police may be able to help you in bringing criminal charges against him and recovering your money.Please let me know if yo​u need more information in this regard. Otherwise I would appreciate a positive rating as that ensures I get credit for my time and information.