CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a company that placed a collection $190 on my

Customer Question

I have a company that placed a collection for a $190 on my credit report. This is apperantly from a complex I used to live in years ago. I called the complex and they said my account was in good standing and is closed and that I should contact this other company in Texas. I have contacted this company for over 2 months and have left 10+ voice mails and I have not heard back. I have looked online and there are hundreds of negative comments and BBB reports on this company and this particular persona (lady) and they all state the same thing about how they have something on their credit and they can't get a hold of this person and they have been leaving voice mails for months. What can I do? I'm looking to purchase a property and was denied a loan. I want to personally pursue a law suit. Or at least scare her somehow so that she stops doing this to people. The collection is for $190. I can pay it. I don't care. They just never pick up or answer. Any ideas? Can I send a cease and decease letter?
Thanks
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.
Dear Customer,Sending (and keeping a copy) of a letter contesting/disputing the debt is a good step (I would also recommend a "CC" to the person you spoke to and confirmed your good standing with at the original account holder - the apartment complex).In addition, I would also recommend filing a complaint with the State Attorney General (you can do this online quickly and easily, search for "STATE Attorney General Consumer Complaints" - I would file one in California, and another in Texas), the AG will not resolve your dispute, you need to do that yourself using first a letter, then potentially a small claims case (although hopefully that will not be necessary), but the AG can investigate this business, and hopefully take administrative and/or criminal enforcement action (this regulatory action by the AG may result in a resolution for you, but again this is not the primary role of the AG's office).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I lost a house that I really loved due to the fact that I couldn't remove this false information in time. I have sustained damages. I want to go after them for money. Where should I file small claims? In California or Texas?
Texas. https://www.depts.ttu.edu/sls/forms/How-to-Sue-in-Small-Claims-Court.pdf(You can try suing in CA, but there may be a dispute over personal jurisdiction - I cannot predict how the final resolution would come out - but Texas will be much more certain).