LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My attorney died March 17th 2016, We were coming to the conclusion

Customer Question

My attorney died March 17th 2016, We were coming to the conclusion of the case when this occurred. A lawyer who was familiar with the case stepped in for the attorney since his death. Then today I received a copy of a Pro Per letter from his wife stating that the practice " have ceased to practice law" and that the files are located in her posseon. I do have a substantial bull with him of abou $7000 but I had n=made arrangements with him yo pay him back abou $500/month. 1. I have a court date this week regarding a petition and yes she did send it to the respondents lawyer, should I pplan to go? 2. Can the office with hold my files because of what I owe them?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you should certainly attend the hearing. If the attorney has passed, the other lawyer who took over needs to be present and you should speak with them about this and ask them to inform you how they want to proceed. Now, if there was a payment plan, for $500 a month, that is what would need to be honored. The fact that his wife has stepped in, would not allow her to simply withhold your file and demand payment in full, when there was a different agreement. As you shared, there were payment arrangements made, so you are still in compliance with the agreement.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!