Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I have received a notice from ace check cashing debt

Customer Question

I have received a notice from ace check cashing for a debt of 409 dollars. I do not remember this debt but was willing to settle debt. they sent me an email on how to opay the debt and I did it by emailing it back to them on a one vanilla credit cad as they instructed. money was deducted from card but they say they never received it. I do not have another 409 dollars to send them and really cant trust their site. what should I do
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Unfortunately, I think you were scammed out of $409 dollars. No legitimate check cashing place would ask for payment of a debt on a vanilla card. They did this so that they wouldn't be traceable when you caught on. Send them no more money. Cease all conversation with them. Report the scam to your police, to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at and to the Federal Trade Commission at You're the victim of a crime and by reporting it, you'll be able to deduct your unreimbursed losses from this transaction when you file your 2016 taxes.