Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I need to file my income taxes; however, I have a few issues. First

Customer Question

I need to file my income taxes; however, I have a few issues.
First of all, my two step-sons arrived in the Philippines in late May. I want to put them both on my tax return as dependents. However, we also received credit for our health insurance through Covered CA. The boys however never received their green cards and social security cards until sometime late in November due to issues beyond our control. We had even gone to the social security office twice to have it mailed directly to the social security office yet we never received the documents until close to the end of November.
Turbotax wants me to file the 1095-A, but when it asks me what months the kids had coverage I have to leave out all months due to the documents never arriving to register them for insurance through Covered CA and because the first 5 months of the year they were living in the Philippines, so there isn't even a way to let the government know they weren't even present in the country for those 5 months.
WHen I call the IRS, all they do is hang up the phone on me and tell me to call back later. Well, later is going to be after tonight's deadline.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 10 months ago.
Hello, thank you for using this service. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. Please understand that in this forum, I can only provide you with general information. Also, if I do not respond quickly to a reply it is because I am either at court or in a meeting, in which case I will respond as quickly as I can (including night). Now that the formalities are out of the way, let's look at your question. First, I am not quite sure I understand your question. You have two step-sons. They lived in the Philippines until late May, when they came to the US. You didn't receive green cards for them until the end of the November. During this time period, were they covered under Covered CA? Is your problem that the program isn't allowing you to specify that they were not covered from Jan. 2015-May-2015? Also, have you called Intuit to ask them about this problem? If you could clarify this for me that would help me provide you with relevant advice. Thank you!