Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was divorced in 2014. The divorce was not litigated as my

Customer Question

I was divorced in 2014. The divorce was not litigated as my ex and I signed an Agreement.
There were issues re businesses we owned that were not dealt with in the Agreement but were mentioned as issues that were to be dealt with outside of the divorce. Due to a tax lien that he was to pay and did not, we went to Court. He then brought up taxes from a
sub-S corp. that we initially owned together, but he resigned from in 2011. It was a hotel
and I managed and ran it for 6.5 years with no compensation because of the economy. It
failed, but for the last 2 years my ex was not involved at all. I had the taxes done but have not used the massive losses yet as I haven't been able to afford an accountant. The Judge ruled that I was to give him these tax returns. My thought is that they ought to at least be shared even tho I don't think he should have them at all. We have a meeting with IRS on the 25th re the tax lien; I want to ask about using the losses to negotiate a payment for that. Is there something I could file to forestall turning over the taxes to him - supposed to be done by the 20th.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. You state, "The Judge ruled that I was to give him these tax returns." WHEN did the Court rule this? What date?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3 weeks ago
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. The only way to "stall" for time is by: 1) Filing a motion for reconsideration of the decision, and with it filing a motion to stay, asking the court to stop enforcement until the reconsideration is decided, or2) Filing an interlocutory appeal for the decision, and with it filing a motion to stay, asking the court to stop enforcement until the reconsideration is decided, or3) Filing a motion simply asking for more time to perform, but one has to give a true and good reason as to why this is so. The court also has to agree. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am perplexed as to why/how the amount keeps changing. This would make me very hesitant about using again.
I understand a rise in price from when I last used, but my answer went from 47 to 59 with no explanation.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Apologies, but JustAnswer experts only answer questions. We have no access to your billing page nor do we set the prices. You can contact JustAnswer's customer service - they are very nice and generally very helpful. Let me know if you need their number, and let me know if you need anything else in terms of your question.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!