Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I have deeded access to my neighbor springs and wells and attempted

Customer Question

I have deeded access to my neighbor springs and wells and attempted to walk to one today. Shortly after being rudely told to leave the sheriff deputy arrives and threatens ticket me trespassing.
He told me I need to hire a survey for path/road to Spring
The does mention access for Machine and man.
Thanks
Everett Day
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. It is a pleasure to assist you today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters such as this one. There are a few ways to handle this situation. That said, if you have deeded access, then the best way to handle it is to preemptively cut the problem off at the pass - so to speak. I would get a certified copy of the deed from the county courthouse and promptly walk it over to the sheriff office. Kindly ask the Sheriff or the under-sheriff to make his officers situationally aware of your legal right to access the springs and wells in view of your deeded access. The worst case scenario here is that you are ticketed and you present to court the deeded access documentation and they throw the ticket out. However, by taking the aforementioned preemption approach, you may save yourself some trouble in the end. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) if you have no further questions. Best wishes!
Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks