Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Direct tv has contacted me with a call and a letter accusing

Customer Question

direct tv has contacted me with a call and a letter accusing me of violating unauthorized reception and commercial display at my small business. they say its a violation of federal communications act and direct tv agreement. they want me to pay $10,000. would you please help me know what my rights and options are? also the way they said they found out was by sending in an independent auditor by recording me and my business without my knowledge.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
If you are claiming that you did not do what DirecTV is accusing you off, then you do not need to negotiate with them. You can just ignore them and let them file lawsuit against. You can then retain an Attorney that handle satellite and cable issues to assist you with the case. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle telecommunication issues: Lawyers.com Justia.com Findlaw.com With regard to recording, Arkansas is a one-party consent state. So, if one party is a party to the conversation, that party can record others who are parties to the conversation without their consent. However, if the auditor just recorded you and the business, but did not have any conversation with you, that recording would not be admissible in Court. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.