Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I got in a fight and the other guy started it out in front

Customer Question

I got in a fight and the other guy started it out in front of a bar. He got two black eyes a few people came out including the bartender I was yelling to call the cops because I wanted to tell them about what happened. Nobody did. About three days later he goes in to make a statement but not press charges. Forsome reason after that he decides to go get a ct scan and the find nothing. Him the bartender that came out and the bartender acroos the street came up with statments that I had it planned that I was braggin that I hit him in the back of the head etc. These three are drug related.
I was arrested. Now it isn't hard for me to prove they are all lying due to the catscan and the victims own testimony of where his injuries were. Surprise all frontal. Prosecuting attorney is stating that I have to pay his medical bills, caravan and radiologists about 4,000. My question is...if I can prove he started the fight will I still have to pay his medical bills.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..My question is...if I can prove he started the fight will I still have to pay his medical bills..This depends on whether your reaction to his starting the fight was reasonable. If you were defending yourself and he was the aggressor, then no, you aren't responsible for his bills. But if, for example, you engaged in mutual combat for a while and he was knocked down and dazed, them if you continued to fight after it was clear that he was no longer a threat, it becomes an assault after that. So it is really kind of a grey area as to when something is self defense and the other person just got more than they bargained for and when it crosses over into an assault where you could be held liable for damages..But as a general rule, if the other person is the aggressor, and the "victim" beat the tar out of them, then they are the cause of their own injuries because had they not started the fight, they wouldn't have been injured and a judge won't reward their stupidity for picking a fight with someone who was a better fighter....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2ell he followed me out of the bar shortly after I asked his ex girlfriend why she was hanging out with a junkie when she already has to have supervised visits to see her boys. I was sitting outside and he came out yelling at me and I stood up went to the door way and he took a swng and I hit him in the face he immediately tried to cover duck and on the way to the ground while I hit him a couple of times I was immediately pushed off by his ex. Nobody saw what started it and she only saw the part where we were going to the ground.
Ok, that would confirm that he was the aggressor and if you took reasonable actions in defending yourself, then you can't be held liable for his damages that he brought on himself.. thanksBarrister