Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I was recently busted heroin the cops kicked door

Customer Question

I was recently busted for dealing heroin the cops kicked door down an searched I was hand cuffed an took to Monroe co. Jail they claim to have several buys an they got me with possession of heroin an an oxy 80 an pharaphilia an a syringe they offered me to work for them I agreed upon release I ran I've never had warrants issued nor heard anything since why haven't I been charged ??
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, How long ago did you run? How do you know that you haven't yet been charged?How long ago did you run? How do you know that you haven't yet been charged?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Police always take people they bust for possession or sale of controlled substances and try to lure them into cooperation agreements. If they succeed, this is how they get to learn about who is involved in upper management in local drug cartels and where and when they can be found. From the viewpoint of the arrestee, this cooperation is a very dangerous business. Many turn down the option or agree to cooperate and then flee or renege on the promise. Or they do keep their promise but don't give the police any good or useful information. Under such cases, the police give the arrestee a reasonable period of time to make good on what they promised to do for the police and then they turn the case over to the DA's office for prosecution. There's no law that says how much time the police will give you or that they have to tell you when the paperwork is turned over. One day, you can simply be stopped, for example, for a speeding ticket and learn you've been indicted for a felony and that there's a warrant out for your arrest. I'm not suggesting that you work with the police if you don't want to. As a defense attorney, I'm not fond of these pre-arrest cooperation agreements because I've seen too many that don't work out. But don't be too smug that you're still at liberty, because it doesn't have to mean that papers haven't been filed with the court.