Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP

I recieved a large inheritance. I spent most of it buying a

Customer Question

I recieved a large inheritance. I spent most of it buying a house and making many improvements. I was getting SSI, but when i got the inheritance, the SSI stopped. If i sell the house, will SSI get any of the money?
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 6 months ago.
I don't see why SSI would receive any of the sales proceeds. Have you received some indication that SSI is seeking funds from you? It sounds like you did not do anything improper with respect to the inheritance and SSI so unless you're receiving notices from SSI I think you're fine.I hope you found this helpful. If so please provide a rating and feel free to ask further questions. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told by an unqualified individual that if I sold, SSI would take half. I received a letter from SS a while ago that said when I pass away, SS would take the house. But what will happen if I sell it while I'm still alive?