Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My landlord is telling me she wants me out. I have no signed

Customer Question

My landlord is telling me she wants me out. I have no signed lease.she says it's because her family member needs a place to stay .she told me this a week ago. Now her brother is camping out on my front porch is that legal for him to do or can I call the police to remove him
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Good morning Justin. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You are correct. He has no right to be there. While you are the tenant you have the exclusive right to the peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the property. When there is no lease, you are considered an “at will” tenant and treated legally as a month to month tenant. As such, your landlord in order to terminate this tenancy must give you written notice of at least 30 days. Then, if you don't leave, under Washington law, she must give you a 10-Day Notice to you an additional 10 days to leave. Then, if you still do not leave, she has to file a petition for an eviction order. Typically it can take approximately 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing for that. Only when she has obtained an eviction order, can she have you evicted. Until that time, she is not allowed to move your stuff out, change the locks, shut off the utilities, allow her brother to camp out, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!