Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

My stepdad also has a van hes daughter took the insurance

Customer Question

my stepdad also has a van hes daughter took the insurance off of it. when i moved here i had a truck was not worth much he asked me what i was going to do with the truck i said i dont know. al said if i sell the truck he would put me on the title of the van and could have the van for 2500.00. i did sell a peice of property and gave him the 2500.00 in cash. if when she does come over to take picures if she wants to take the van can i stop her?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for requesting me.Until she is off the title, you cannot legally stop her from taking what is technically her property. Since you don't have a written contract, and the title is still in her name, she still legally owns the van. As such, she can take her property and at this point, there isn't much you can do. I know it isn't fair, but until you get the title, it's not legally your van.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is not on the title only me and my stepdad
OK. I'm sorry. I misunderstood. If she's not on the title and you or your stepdad don't give her permission to take the vehicle, she cannot take it. However, if your stepdad does give her permission, she can since he has equal ownership rights to yours. That said, you can then go and take it straight back from her, assuming you have a key.