CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

How can I find out who bought my storage space? JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

How can I find out who bought my storage space?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My storage space went up for auction today. I had alot of sentimental things from deceased loved ones in there. How can I find out who got it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you forget about me? I need help😞
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,My apologies for the delay, there is sometimes a break between a question being forwarded by the forum and an expert's availability, the forum is working on updating its system. (I understand this is not the customer's issue (yours), but I want to let you know that your concern with the delay was not being ignored).Regarding your question (finding who purchased your storage space at auction), this depends on your state for specifics (each of the 50 states has their own variation on the auction rules), but in general, the storage facility must keep records regarding the sale, and the purchase price. This may or may not include the identity of the buyer. (While I have not done a 50 state survey, I am unaware of any state that provides for any form of redemption following a storage auction - which can be contrasted with foreclosure auctions in some states where the homeowner can redeem the property from the buyer for a short period of time).Your best course of action would be to contact the storage facility directly and see if they are willing to forward your contact information on to the buyer so that perhaps you can repurchase these items from the buyer.If they aren't keeping proper records, etc. you could sue them in small claims court, but as noted below, this carries certain risks and is unlikely to get you the information you need quickly enough to recover your property before the buyer disposes of it.Be aware, depending on whether or not you have an outstanding balance (owe more than the auction recovered), the storage facility may be less than willing to cooperate with you while you still owe them money (and the facility still has a right to sue you to recover this delinquency). I do understand that this is likely a secondary consideration given the sentimental value of the items you are hoping to recover, but I want to provide you with a small amount of practical advice in addition to the legal positioning so that you can pursue this matter with the greatest chance of recovering your property.(Bot***** *****ne, you are going to have to plan on paying the storage facility for any outstanding balance to get information that may or may not assist you in putting you into contact with the individual who purchased the unit, that is then going to sell your belongings back to you).