LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

When are Federal, New York State and N.Y.C. taxes due on

Customer Question

When are Federal, New York State and N.Y.C. taxes due on sweepstakes winnings? Are they ever supposed to be paid before one's sweepstakes winnings are obtained? Also, what about possible foreign taxes, if any? Thank you, ***** ***** reply at:***@******.***
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you win a sweepstakes in NY and you are a NY and NYC resident, then you pay both state and local NYC tax on the winnings. You also must include your winnings as income when you file your federal tax return. However, NEVER are you required to pre-pay any taxes on a win before you are eligible to collect your prize. If you have been told that you have won a sweepstakes but that you must pre-pay taxes in order to collect your winnings---then that is a SCAM and you have not won anything and you should under no circumstances pay any money to anyone related to the scam. If the prize was a foreign lottery, then the country will deduct taxes before sending you the prize and again, you do NOT pre-pay any taxes. Being asked to pre-pay taxes on ANY sweepstakes is a red flag that you are being scammed. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug