Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I would like to know if my name is ***** ***** data banks that would

Customer Question

I would like to know if my name is ***** ***** data banks that would cause my arrest upon flying into the U.S. My name is***** dob 24 April 1945. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, The officers at airport terminals cannot see your US criminal record on their screen. The only way they would see your warrant is if the DA's office specifically flagged this information to CPB. There is no way to determine whether that has happened in an individual case. Generally, however, a misdemeanor warrant or warrant for failure to pay a fine, for example, would be less likely to be reported than a felony warrant or a warrant for violation of probation or parole. But there's no guarantee it won't turn up and no data base that would provide the information you seek.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since I have talked to the LA county court and was told there is a bench warrant, that the judge wants to talk to me (the investigation was grand theft auto and I jumped bail, does that make a difference in this issue of returning home? Another question, would Canada have access to the same data as the US border?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The issue was clocking the mileage on autos I restored (mostly classics), not stealing anything.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Canada and the US share this information, so yes, you could expect that if the US has it, Canada does too. Regardless of the underlying facts of your LA case, your failure to appear was on a felony matter, so there's a good bet that you'd be flagged trying to enter the US. If it were a misdemeanor charge, it would be much less likely. I have had more than one client with felony warrants who were arrested at airports when flying back to the States.