Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a bench warrant arrest attending court

Customer Question

I have a bench warrant for my arrest for not attending court date today, although I sent a proxy to represent me on my behalf. They would not accept proxy and informed them that I should've showed up in person. My wife went on my behalf to the previous court date as I was very sick at that time. They said that they informed my wife that I had to be present for the next court date without fail, but my wife did not hear them say that to her. So now I have bench warrant out for my arrest. I am willing to turn myself in, but what will happen to me once I do this? I was going to court due to unpaid fines.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, It should not be a problem, since the court date was only today. If you go back tomorrow and talk to the clerk about getting added to the court calendar, the judge is likely not to put you in jail. If you have a lawyer with you and/or some money to pay towards the fines, you would be even safer. However, in my experience, a judge will not incarcerate a defendant for showing up a day or two late with a reasonable excuse.