How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue my ex husband bullying/harassment/

Customer Question

Can I sue my ex husband for financial bullying/harassment/abuse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello Laurie. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.There's really no direct lawsuit for "financial bullying" etc. though if you feel your husband is harassing you, I'd encourage you to consider filing for a restraining order. In addition, if he bullies you by dragging you back to court, you can ask the court to make him pay your legal fees, missed work time, things like that (just generally expenses related to the fact that he dragged you back to court). I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that if I cannotafford to continue funding my lawyer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what about emotionally?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
If you can't afford to continue paying your attorney, my recommendation would be to have your attorney filed a motion to have your husband pay your legal fees. It's a relatively common motion to file in family court proceedings. I hope that helps.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
As far as emotional causes of action, you typically don't see those as standalone actions. They are usually within the context of civil litigation, such as a cause of action for "intentional infliction of emotional distress" but those tend to be state specific and, as I stated, not typically standalone actions. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. I'm here if you need anything :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, as this is civil litigation (motion to modify existing PRR) can my lawyer file this "intentional infliction of emotional distress"? What about "intentional inflictiom of FINANCIAL distress"? What evidence would typically be needed to demonstrate emotional distress?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
A plaintiff must satisfy four elements to recover on a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress in Maine: (1) the defendant intentionally or recklessly inflicted severe emotional distress or was certain or substantially certain that such distress would result from [the defendant’s] conduct; (2) the conduct was so extreme and outrageous as to exceed all possible bounds of decency and must be regarded as atrocious, utterly intolerable in a civilized community; (3) the actions of the defendant caused the plaintiff’s emotional distress; and (4) the emotional distress suffered by the plaintiff was so severe that no reasonable person could be expected to endure it. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.