Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Yesterday I discovered I had been served court papers

Customer Question

Yesterday I discovered I had been served court papers for a judgement by an alternative serving method -law firm filed with the State of NJ. It appears the letter from the State is dated February 25th. Do I have any options as I had 35 days to respond. Since I just received the information from the mailbox yesterday, I am out of time to respond. Also, I have been negotiating with this firm for months and thought a settlement was in the works through my attorney, yet it appears they have found a loop hold.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
Yes you can file a motion to set aside the judgement for improper service. You need to show that you did not dodge service when a hearing was set in this matter. Were you ever sued?