Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Me and my company were in a civil lawsuit I had a attorney

Customer Question

Me and my company were in a civil lawsuit I had a attorney about 2 weeks before the court date the attorney was barred from practicing law in calif. so I wrote a letter to the judge he has his clerk call me the Friday afternoon before the court date and told me I needed to be there for court on Monday in fresno,ca and I am living in St. Louis but makes me think it would. BE continued because I had not got a attorney and there can't be trial when The case is against a co. And our attorney has all our paperwork so I show up Monday at court and the trial went on and I had no attorney and now they got a judgement against me and my co. Is this normal?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Did you specifically ask the judge for a continuance? Was that request denied?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes he knew I was aggravated and did not have any paperwork whatsoever to argue anything
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And I was told the case couldn't be heard without a attorney due to a business
The case can be heard even though you didn't have an attorney. A person or a business does not have a constitutional right to an attorney in a civil case. I can't say that denying a continuance in such a circumstance is "normal" (in fact, it is out of the norm), but I can say that it is within the judge's discretion to do so. In other words, it may be strange for the judge to deny a continuance in a case like this, but the judge may legally do it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even though it was a lawsuit against my business
Yes. A person or a business does not have a constitutional right to a lawyer in a civil case.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well do you practice calif. Law where are you located
No, I am not licensed in California, but I am familiar with California law. Unfortunately, no state recognizes a constitutional right to an attorney in a civil case of this nature.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well what should I do with a attorney that collected 27000 and did not do me a bit of good
You may have a cause of action against your former lawyer.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.