How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4994
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed Security at age 62. I did not work the

Customer Question

I filed for Social Security at age 62. I did not work the 7 years before I filed, so my
benefit is low. I could have qualified for Social Security Disabilty, but I did not know about it. I was too sick Mentally from depression/bipolar disorder and from Osteoarthritis and Oseteoporosis. Is there anyway to file for Social Security Disabilty now? If Disability is even lower than my regular Social Security, do I have a choice?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately there is no way to file for SSD when it is five years past your last working date. Your date last insured is 5 years after you last worked. So if you didn't work for 7 years you weren't eligible for SSD at that time. There is no way to extend your insured date even when you're mentally unable to comprehend the same. If you are impoverished and disabled you may apply for SSI which will give you up to an additional $700 a month...just visit your local SSA office and apply.
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require furtherassistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question tothe best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledgeand experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.