Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Barrister, Is your email address? I need to know if you are

Customer Question

Hello Barrister, Is your email address***@******.***? I need to know if you are Brr.Augustina Ampofowaa? I have requested a marriage certificate for me, Rita Perry, and Dr. Howard Smith Nadler. I would like to verify the cost. Thank you, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On April 11, 2016 at 8:41pm an email was sent to me stating that 5,800 EUROS is 6,700 USD from Brr.Augustina Ampofowaa from email: ***@******.*** which is the cost of a marriage certificate in the United Nations. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to verify the barrister's name and to see if I am sending the money to the correct person. The email from the barrister said to send a money gram to: ***** 15 Hulsboomstraat, Meulebeke, Belgium 8760. Is this the correct address to send the money to get the marriage certificate processed? Please verify and let me know. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anyway I could get an answer to my question within a few minutes? Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Rita,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry for the delay.

Were you still looking for help with this? Is this doctor someone that you met and married in person? What country were you married in? Why are you they asking you to send money to get the marriage certificate?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This doctor is in the United States Army in Afghanistan and wants to get married but to obtain the marriage license from the United Nations and then get married at the end of his contract at the end of 2016.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My real concern is whether the price is correct or not...8500 Euros...and about the Barrister's name.

Thank you.

No, the price is wrong. The whole thing is wrong. This is a VERY common scam. A marriage license would be issued by the place you were getting married, or in this case, but someone in the military, not by the UN. The cost is usually under $100. I've never seen anyplace that charges thousands. A marriage license is also usually only good for about 30-60 days, so there would be no sense in getting one now to marry someone at the end of the year. I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but this man is lying to you.

Here is more information on common military dating scams.

The U.S. government also has a website where you can verify, using a name and date of birth, whether a person is truly a member of the U.S. military and, if so, where they are stationed. But you're not going to find him there. If you do, you should contact his superior officer, because he's trying to scam you.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.