Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My brother is 30 years of age and his name is*****

Customer Question

My brother is 30 years of age and his name is***** (#1812320). Long story short, he committed his first Federal Offense back in 2011, yet the State kept his case in order to give him the worst possible outcome in regards ***** ***** sentencing. The Georgetown, Austin judge that sentenced him was completely biased towards my brother and his accomplice. The judge was also charged, after my brother's trial, with wrongful convictions and was fired. Is there anything we can do to fight my brother's case? He was given 32 years which is 3 life sentences. I've watched the first 48 FAITHFULLY, and these guys on there are getting BS times for murder. Please help in ANY WAY POSSIBLE!!!
Greatly appreciate your time either way :)
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the judge improperly convicted or improperly sentenced your brother outside of the federal sentencing guidelines, then your brother's attorney needs to file a motion for post conviction relief in the court where he was convicted and get the new judge there to review the sentencing in light of the guidelines and based on the prior judge's misconduct and get them to adjust the sentence. If the district court denies his motion, then he can take the matter to the US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to argue his sentence is too harsh and seek a reduction through the appeal. That is his recourse to fight what he believes is a sentence outside the proper federal guidelines.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank You! I believe there is a non-profit group that help inmates out when faced with wrongful convictions and my parents hired them, but we are all still waiting on some type of response. The appointed that my brother had originally told my brother that, "there was NOTHING he could do".
You can contact the innocence project and also the southern poverty law center, both of those groups will take cases they find worthy. The appointed attorney could not do anything because it is outside of his scope of representation, you need to get your brother another attorney involved.