Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

I have several hideous scars after having kidney stone surgery

Customer Question

I have several hideous scars after having kidney stone surgery back in October of 2016 and want to know of any rights I might have to sue doctor or hospital that performed the surgery. I live in the state of North Carolina
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of medico-legal litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Medical malpractice claims are fact specific. The basis of any med-mal claim is whether or not the physician breached the applicable standard of care for the procedure in your geographic area. The standard of care is established using expert testimony. In order to show med-mal, you need to show that the physician had a duty, breached that duty, the breached caused harm and the damages. Based on what you have shared with me, I would encourage you to first see another physician and get an opinion as to whether the scarring is unusual relative to the procedure. If the physician believes that to be the case, then you likely have a case here. At that point, you go see a well experienced med-mal attorney in your area. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive recognition and credit for my work. Best wishes going forward!
Just checking in on you to see if you have any other questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!