Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

What r the laws governing commercial parking lots, particularly

Customer Question

What r the laws governing commercial parking lots, particularly the signs & where & how far from parking area.incedent happen at pilot truck stop there r no no parking signs anywhere n the parking lot n which my car was towed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
N houston Texas
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of litigation experience and practice in this area of the law. It is a pleasure to assist you today There are no statutory laws on private parking areas absent the ADA requirements for proper handicap parking areas, ramps, etc. That said, based on common law and logic, you are considered an invitee when you enter premises like a Pilot Truck stop. If you park in an area that is reasonable and not impeding other business activities and/or there are no signs or warnings that you are in a tow zone, then the truck stop would be responsible for any damages that you incur as a result of being towed. In short, they cannot tow you or they will be responsible to pay for it. As you can imagine, this can get fact complicated. If the vehicle is left unattended for an extended period of time, then there may be cause to tow, etc. Generally speaking, it has to be marked or impeding business to be towed without consequence for the truck stop. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars). Best wishes going forward!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u very much very helpful
My pleasure. Please be sure to rate my response positively (three or more stars) on the ratings interface on your end. It is the only way I receive credit for my response. Thanks!
Just checking in on you to see if you have any other questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!