Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I hired a personaql injury attorney who I thought was reputable.

Customer Question

I hired a personaql injury attorney who I thought was reputable. I was involved in a car accident in which my wife and I were stopeed in traffic and rear ended by a woman who failed to attempt to stop. she hit us goig about 60 miles per hour. I was driving an acura which was totaled. The highway petrol said that the frame of the car was what kept us alive. I was sent to the hospital by ambulance and released that night. the next day I noticed that my memory was very poor. I received whiplash at the time because I was violently thrown back with such force that the upper portion of the seat back snapped. I went to an attorney that was recommended by my neurologist. He said that i could anticipate an upper six figures settlement. As our trial date approached, he started telling me that a hearing in front of a jury was a bad idea because a jury would have no sympathy for me because I made a fairly substantial income( around 150-200 k per year) and that I should consider arbitration. I am an investment advisor and I feel that I would be a credible plaintiff. I told him that I was opposed to Arbitration and the possibility of a conflict of interest, so he enlisted my wife's support. My wife is a private person and was tired of the depositions etc. and she begged me to take the attorneys advice as he was the professional. She said that just as I am a professional I expect my clients to take my advice as a i have a deeper understanding in my field of expertise. To make a long story longer, I acquiesced at my wife's insistence and agreed to arbitration against my better judgement and with a sense of dread. Sure enough, the arbitration award was $20,000. For the past five years I have been taking a very expensive drug that my neurologist prescribed and the motion in my neck is limited. I cannot shake the notion that I was severely mislead by my attorney who I latter found out was also an arbitrator. I am angry and feel that my attorney mislead me and gave me very poor advice. Is there anything that I can do at this point or would I simply be chasing windmills with the realization that our judicial system is broken.
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.. Is there anything that I can do at this point or would I simply be chasing windmills with the realization that our judicial system is broken.Unfortunately, if you agreed to settle the case for the $20,000, then it is simply over. If you were not satisfied with that offer at the time, then you would have had the right to refuse it and take the case to trial. If the attorney you had didn't want to go to trial, you could have fired him and then retained another one to proceed to trial. Even if the attorney did give you bad advice, the ultimate decision to settle was yours to make..So in hindsight, it is clear that the decision to settle was probably not the right one, but once it is done, it is done...I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister