P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Is spitting on a police a felony in north Carolina : My son

Customer Question

Hi pearl is spitting on a police a felony in north Carolina
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My son was arrested after getting drunk in public and causing a disturbance .Also possibility of assault on another citizen
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: that's all I know right now ,however this is not his first trouble with the law
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

NC statute § 14-34.7 provides, in part

(c) Unless covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, a person is guilty of a Class I felony if the person does any of the following:

(1) Assaults a law enforcement officer, probation officer, or parole officer while the officer is discharging or attempting to discharge his or her official duties and inflicts physical injury on the officer.

So spitting would be considered "assault". IF the assault caused some harm to the officer (physical injury)? Then it is a felony.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.