Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a retired school teacher (age, 70) on a state pension.

Customer Question

I am a retired school teacher (age, 70) on a state pension. I do get a small social security check of $20 after medicare has been paid. My wife, who died two months ago, received full social security until her death. We had been married 49 years. I received something from SSA that said two things: that I would be entitled to $1500 a month from my wife and payment would not be made at this time. I have a May 10 appointment with a SSA official. What should I be prepared for? Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can seek to collect SS benefits on your wife's income and SS, but the issue is what they call the Windfall Elimination Provision, which means if you get another government pension, your SS benefit would be reduced by the amount of that pension. So when you apply for your SS benefit under your wife's SS, you would need to be prepared for them to reduce that payment to adjust for what they call a Windfall for you receiving another government pension benefit.