Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

All requirements met. Landlord does not want to return security

Customer Question

All requirements met. Landlord does not want to return security deposit. wants to negotiate. this not accptable.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.If he refuses to refund your security deposit, you can sue him in small claims court in your county. You would be suing for breach of contract, since he is obligated by your lease agreement to refund your security deposit if you leave the home in the condition you took it in.
Here is some information on the small claims procedure in Ohio. You can only sue for up to $3,000, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are only suing for return of your security deposit.http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/courts-hearings/representing-yourself-in-court/small-claims/qandact_view
I'm not sure which county you are in, but here are forms you can use to file your complaint. These are for Franklin County, but you can use these as a starting point. All you would really need to do is change the name of the county if you aren't in Franklin County. http://smallclaims.fcmcclerk.com/home/court-forms
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Chris, but I have been sick and some other matters came up that required my immediate attention. I have not received my security deposit as yet and I really need my money. I live in Hamilton County. Where are the forms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked over the forms from Franklin County. Since there is no cost for a mediator, do you think that would be possible.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 6 months ago.
yes, that would be permissible.