How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4795
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

All requirements met. Landlord does not want to return security

Customer Question

All requirements met. Landlord does not want to return security deposit. wants to negotiate. this not accptable.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 10 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.If he refuses to refund your security deposit, you can sue him in small claims court in your county. You would be suing for breach of contract, since he is obligated by your lease agreement to refund your security deposit if you leave the home in the condition you took it in.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 10 months ago.
Here is some information on the small claims procedure in Ohio. You can only sue for up to $3,000, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are only suing for return of your security deposit.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure which county you are in, but here are forms you can use to file your complaint. These are for Franklin County, but you can use these as a starting point. All you would really need to do is change the name of the county if you aren't in Franklin County.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Chris, but I have been sick and some other matters came up that required my immediate attention. I have not received my security deposit as yet and I really need my money. I live in Hamilton County. Where are the forms?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I looked over the forms from Franklin County. Since there is no cost for a mediator, do you think that would be possible.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 9 months ago.
yes, that would be permissible.