Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My ex-partner (gay) moved in with me in June 2013. We equally

Customer Question

my ex-partner (gay) moved in with me in June 2013. We equally paid the rent until he moved out in Nov. 2015 when he decided to get his own apt. He was never placed on the lease by my landlord.
When he packed his own stuff, I was out of town. He sorted through closets and drawers and picked through things that he wanted. He left the remaining items- mostly clothes and a few storage containers filled with junk.
we remained in speaking terms until January 2016. He came to my address and visited me several times during that period but refused to get his remaining items stating that he was too tired to do it.
He possessed a house key and garage door opener but still would not come get his things.
He now has filed a small claims to get said items. I have tried to accommodate his requests, but he is only wanting to do it on the weekend. I am not available then. what now?
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Would you consider moving his things to storage?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no. he did not want this stuff or he would have taken it when he moved out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he left worn clothing and nothing of value
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
What is the small claims case about? Did you want to keep the clothes?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have every text message he has sent regarding the items he claims to have left.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Why are you fighting over his old clothes (that you do not even want)?
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Can you have the items delivered to him?
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
I just noticed that this is a duplicate question and you were already working with another expert. I will opt out so that you can continue with them.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont know what he wants me to give him. We shared clothes. He has given me no list.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.
A different Professional here. You need to make a list of the items that he left and put these items in a box or boxes. Then at the hearing, you need to tell the Court that you have the items in a box or boxes and he can make arrangement to come and pick up the box(es), but not on weekend because you are not available on the weekends. You should give the Court and your former partner a copy of the list that you made. Best wishes, Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are things he claims he left that I know are not his and:or not here and other things that he doesn't even remember having.
You need to list the items that are his and park them in boxes to be returned to him.You need to give the Court your list. You can only give him what are his and what are in your possession.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can do that. What if there is something on his list that is not in my possession?
Then you would tell the Court that you do not have it. That's all you can do.