Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need legal guidance on whether to file or

Customer Question

I need legal guidance on whether to file for bankruptcy or to sue my former business partners. Thank you
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I became a "credit partner" with some friends out of state. I agreed to let them use my credit to fund their business and they agreed to pay on time as well as a monthly sharing profit. They have been delinquent on two of my account 40-90 days and are destroying my credit. Only proof I have are emails back and forth about our arrangements but no actual legal written contracts which was my first mistake. I don't know what to do or where to proceed from here to avoid any kind of wage garnishment and bankruptcy is my last resort, Thank you
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: How much to connect?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, what you need to do is file suit against the partners for the delinquent payments in breach of your contract with them. You should not file bankruptcy until you exhaust all of the legal means you have to pursue payment from your partners. Even if there are no written contracts, you have proof of the debts and if they will not repay you then you would seek to file bankruptcy.