Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What is the RS NUMBER OF ENGAGEMENT RING State of *****

Customer Question

What is the RS NUMBER FOR RETURN OF ENGAGEMENT RING FOR THE State of ***** *****. I'm still paying for ring
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want the law that covers the return of ring if Engagement was called off. When I knew it was over I ask for rings back she stated she lost it at Gym. They never found the Ring. She did give me the Wedding band
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you tell me, what state is this in (your question has that area redacted for some reason)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Georgia
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My number is ***-***-****

I will send the offer for a phone call...if you accept we can chat on the phone. If you want to continue here (typing) we can do that as well. Let me know.​

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Continue texting
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How soon should I expect to get an answer
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

By "RS," I assume you mean what is Georgia law on engagement rings upon cancellation of marriage. Georgia's statutory code does not deal with this issue. However, Georgia's case law doctrine states that engagement rings are conditional gifts, which means that they are not "final" until/unless marriage takes place. As such, until/unless marriage occurs, the ring goes back to the giver in what is known as a trover action. See GA § 44-12-171.

However, this is not written in stone. Many courts in GA will also consider fault. This means is the groom had an affair and this is why the marriage was broken off, then the court may let the female hold on to the ring anyhow, out of equity.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!