Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

We have received two phone calls, purportedly from the IRS

Customer Question

We have received two phone calls, purportedly from the IRS saying they have tried getting us before. They give no names, either of who is calling or who it supposedly concerns. They do give a phone number, however. I didn't get it copied down. It all sounds shady to me for a government office to do such a thing. Am I rights? ...of nuts?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You need not worry about this. This is a total scam...don't pay them a dime. The IRS is fully aware of this ( and has the following instructions for you: "If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1.***-***-****.You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes." Article: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!