Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

How much AND how long to create and file a court order to remove

Customer Question

How much AND how long to create and file a court order to remove specific website URLs from search engines results, "Adore Cosmetics" is the brand. Posts on sites by former employees and one competitor. Can you recommend a lawyer for this?
More info:
Court Ordered Removal from Search Engine Indices
If information posted on a website is defamatory, but the author is unable and the website is unwilling to voluntarily remove the information (like Ripoff Report), options are still available to effectuate its removal. A little known remedy that circumvents this dilemma is obtaining a court order to remove specific website URLs from search engines results.
Here’s how it works: the harmed party must sue the individual that authored the information and obtain a valid court order declaring the content on the website defamatory and/or illegal. The court order can then be presented to a search engine, like Google, which voluntarily removes websites containing defamatory content from its search results upon being presented with a valid court order.
Although the content remains on the website where it was originally posted, once it is removed from search engine results it is essentially gone for most practical purposes. The content will not be viewed unless someone goes to the exact URL address or happens to search the website where the content is located.
This remedy can be more difficult if the identity of a poster is anonymous or unknown. Nevertheless, even this hurdle can usually be overcome through the discovery process and use of forensic Internet experts; however, I reserve discussion of this interesting and complex topic for another day.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Are you trying to retain an attorney from here to do the work (which isn't possible) or just asking in general how long does it take for these actions to be performed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In general how long does something like this take to process through and have Google comply?
You can usually get a lawyer to draft the papers and have them ready for filing within a week or two. Then, you have to have the other parties served. This usually takes a week or so, then they have about thirty days to answer. If they decide not to do discovery then your lawyer can ask that a hearing be set and they are entitled to thirty days notice on a final hearing in most courts. However, realistically in most courts it takes two to three months to get a final hearing set. One you have the hearing the judge will usually issue the order right then although occasionally they want a little time to think about it before they rule. Following their ruling the other side can appeal, in which case it takes about a year to get an appeal completed. If they don't appeal then the order becomes final thirty days after it is signed. That means that your lawyer can start sending it to the search engines thirty days after the judgment is signed. At that point if Google is going to comply they will do so within thirty days (from what I have heard).
So, when you add all that together you are talking about six months or so from when you meet with the lawyer. Of course, it can take longer or shorter depending on whether the court is backed up, if they decide to fight and then to appeal, etc.