Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was operating as a residential building and interior designer

Customer Question

I was operating as a residential building and interior designer (not architect ) and hired a bunch of sub-contractors to construct my vision for a client under
My company Llc . I am getting sued for faulty construction and illegal
Operating as a contractor -even though the contractors where licensed and pulled there own permits.And the work was approved by the building department . Is there a legal provision that allows me to do Hire contractors as a building or interior designer to get work done? I think I have seen something in the Michigan residential code about that but not sure - hope there is some legal president that will save me ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you own the residential building, which would allow you to act as a contractor on the project?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no it was for a home owner - and all of the construction tasks were listed on the contract by my company - i have since gotten my contractors license because of this law suit - but - i did not perform any other work other than design and coordination of construction tasks
Thank you for your reply.
You are not going to get around the contracting without a license, you were not a licensed contractor and were not the homeowner contracting for your own home. However, every one of the sub contractors who worked on the home are liable to you for defects in what they did in construction, so if the sub contractors who did the work are not named in the suit, you need to name them as third parties in this suit and bring them in to have them held liable to reimburse you in the event you are found liable to the plaintiffs.
You have recourse though at least, it is against the subcontractors who did the work and were negligent, which caused you to be sued.