Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

If I own a vehicle, meaning I have the title in only my name,

Customer Question

If I own a vehicle, meaning I have the title in only my name, is it my property even if the vehicle is registered in another's name?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Yes, the title determines ownership of a vehicle. So if the title is in your name only, then you are the legal owner of the car and can legally take possession of it from ex if you can find it as long as you can do so without breaching the peace...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, that's what I thought. If she refuses to give it to me, or let me know where it is, can I consider it stolen?
Well, if you gave her permission to use it and it is registered to her, you may have a tough time convincing the police that it is a stolen car and they will likely tell you to take it up in civil court..But if you communicate with her and tell her that you are reporting it stolen, that may scare her into returning it rather than risk getting pulled over arrested and then having to straighten it out after getting out of jail.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thank you for your help.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister