Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

How long before a court date does a defendant need to be served

Customer Question

How long before a court date does a defendant need to be served for the court date to occur in Wisconsin?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: The state is going after my son's father for past due support. I can't get ahold of him not can they. Will the court date still stand? I can't make it as I have to work. Will that make any difference? It's tomorrow.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: His support order has been cut off because he is on ssi & has not been approved for disability. My son is 9 & his father is about $25,000 behind @ $30-$70 per week. I dropped it in hopes he would pay.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Are you planning on changing the fuse yourself? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: What fuse?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 7 months ago.
If he has not been served then you can ask for a continuance.
Wisconsin requires notice at least 10 days prior to the hearing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not bring the court date. The state did. Do they need to serve him before the court date or will it be postponed? We live in Wisconsin.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, no court tomorrow then.
Just be sure to contact the court clerk.
You are a key party so if you cannot be there and he was not served then a hearing is very unlikely.
A positive rating would be appreciated because we only get paid for positive ratings.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why would I give a positive rating considering I approved a $5 charge & now my card has been charged for $36? I am trying to get it reversed currently. I did not approve $36. I approved $5.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will shut down my account if you people continue to charge me for things I did not ask for, nor receive.
I am sorry to hear that. I do not get paid unless we receive a positive rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would give a positive rating if they had not overcharged me & I can't get ahold of anyone to fix it.
Just try customer service tomorrow.