John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Can the SS administration take away my Social Security that

Customer Question

Can the SS administration take away my Social Security that I paid while working in the school System even though I paid Social security all those years?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not all the years where as a teacher and the first years were not as a teaher I worked as a teacher from 1997in AZ the rest in OR and here in TX just as a substitute teacher. Thanks you! Please confirm the amount charged on my CC'
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
What you are referring to is the windfall elimination provision of the SSA. This law allows the SSA to lower the multiplier by which your benefits are calculated when you have less than 30 years SSA credits from employers that withhold for social security. Only if you worked 30 or more years in these jobs that withheld social security for you would no reduction in multiplier would occur. If you worked less than 20 years in SSA covered jobs the multiplier would be reduced from 90 to 40%, and if between 20-29 it would be somewhere between 40 and 85%.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well. thank you for your answer, but I do Know what the windfall ELIMINATION MEANSi I HAD WORKED 26 YEARS.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
So you would not be subject to a lowered rate. Another means by which SSA lowers payout is if you have defaulted student loan debt. Does that apply? Or, how about this, have they given you any explanation as to why they are lowering it, have you asked?